SOUTH WARD (KENNINGTON) ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING 4TH NOVEMBER 2014
Present: David Allen (Chair), Emma Tinker (Secretary), Pete Mulvany and Sandra Mulvany (Joint Lettings Secretary), John Card (Treasurer), Alan Deakin, Sharon Murray.
Apologies: Tim Gardiner, Dick Webb, Anthea Pierre.
- Minutes of the meeting of 6th February were approved and signed. No matters arising.
- PM reported that we have 2 x 5-pole plots vacant, but that there are also several plots that will become vacant over the winter as members have expressed their intention not to renew for the coming season.
- John Card noted that rental income is slightly down from last year.
- Chairman’s report:
- As James Duncan has left the Association and Emma Tinker is intending to leave in April 2015, there are vacancies on the committee. DA welcomed Sharon Murray and (in absentia) Anthea Pierre, who will be formally voted onto the committee at the next AGM. Both have expressed an interest in the role of Secretary, and will discuss with ET how best to hand over the role in the New Year.
- DA mentioned the rent review that will come into force in 2016. The committee discussed raising the rent per plot for 2015, but decided that in view of our relatively healthy financial situation at present, the rent will remain at the current rate of £18 per 10-pole plot for the coming year.
- DA congratulated those members who won awards in the Oxford and District Federation of Allotment Associations Competition. Every entrant on our site won an award, and as a whole site we came second!
- DA noted that the stakes need replacing on several fruit trees in the orchard, and that many also need better ties. The committee agreed that we should spend money (approx £130) on materials to do this.
- Secretary’s report:
- ET explained that we had not been able to get help from Community Payback teams this year because the service is currently having organisational difficulties (largely as a result of the privatisation of the Probation Service.) However, the committee agreed that this is a valuable source of practical help and is worth pursuing next year.
- We have cancelled the order of trees from the Woodland Trust in view of the fact that ET is leaving the Association in April, and there was concern about whether the committee would have time to maintain them.
- ET noted that a grant for signage has been awarded by the Council. DA to order a sign for the allotment gate, plus backing material etc. It was agreed that the committee would also provide money to paint the gate.
- Provisional dates for next meetings:
- Thursday 5th February
- Thursday 23rd April (AGM)
- Thursday 29th October