SOUTH WARD (KENNINGTON) ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING 24TH OCTOBER 2013
Present: David Allen (Chair), Emma Tinker (Secretary), Pete Mulvany and Sandra Mulvany (Joint Lettings Secretary), Tim Gardiner, Alan Deakin, Dick Webb, James Duncan.
Apologies: John Card (Treasurer)
- Minutes of the meeting of 14th February were approved and signed. No matters arising that were not on the agenda.
- PM reported that we have just 3×10 pole plots vacant. These are the ones that we agreed to avoid letting because they flood, but we have no choice.
- There was some discussion of overgrown plots – ET to chase one or two plot-holders whose allotments need attention.
- Chairman’s report:
- DA reported on the rent review from the Federation meeting. The rent we pay to the council is likely to go up by 20% for all sites in 2015, on top of which we will lose our current 50% reduction. At current occupancy we can afford this, but DA suggested that we should continue with our gradual increase in rent up to the level of £20 per 10-pole plot. Timings to be discussed in the spring.
- Secretary’s report:
- ET presented a short report from the Treasurer in his absence. Bank balance at present is £5,155.91, with this year’s accounts currently showing a surplus of £650.
- ET thanked DA, DW and AD for their work on the shed roof this summer.
- Grant application: following discussion with Association members, the committee agreed to apply for a grant from the council to hire a skip for plot-holders to dispose of rubbish. ET to submit paperwork.
- Hens on allotments. A plot-holder has recently started keeping hens on his plot, with the agreement of DA and ET. TG had noted that our current constitution and rules prohibit the keeping of animals. The committee agreed that item 16 in the rules should be amended as follows:
“The keeping of rabbits and poultry is permitted in compliance with the Allotments Act 1950, section 12. Beekeeping is allowed with the agreement of the Secretary and provided that the allottee has carried out appropriate training and presents a risk assessment to the Secretary. No other animals or birds may be kept on any plot.”
- Dates for next meetings:
- Thursday 13th February 2014
- Thursday 24th April (AGM)
- Thursday 23rd October