South Ward Allotments

At Kennington, Oxford

Committee meeting minutes – 1st November 2012

SOUTH WARD (KENNINGTON) ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING 1ST NOVEMBER 2012

Present: David Allen (Chair), Emma Tinker (Secretary), Pete Mulvany and Sandra Mulvany (joint lettings secretary), John Card (Treasurer), Brian Maisey, Tim Gardiner, Alan Deakin, Dick Webb.

 

  1. Minutes of the meeting of 16th February were approved and signed. No matters arising that were not on the agenda.
  2. Lettings:
  • PM reported that we have just 1 x 5 pole and 1 x 10 pole plot vacant.
  • It was agreed that we would no longer let plots 324-5 and 200 due to frequent flooding.
  • The committee discussed the question of issuing final warnings and potentially terminating the membership of those plot-holders who have not been maintaining their plots. It was agreed that ET would send another gentle reminder and give them until spring to clear up properly.
  1. Secretary’s report:
  • The committee discussed options for repairing the shed roof. It was agreed that PM would provide a tarpaulin to cover the hole until spring, when more permanent repairs will be undertaken. ET reported on quotes from contractors, but it was agreed that these were too expensive and members of the committee could do the repairs.
  • ET reported on efforts to prevent fly-tipping in the neighbouring field. ET to continue pursuing OCC and VWH, as well as the Environment Agency. TG suggested writing to local media and the new Thames Valley Police Commissioner. DA recalled mention of possible CCTV cameras. ET to contact Traveller Liaison Officer about this.
  • ET reported on results of the Federation allotments competition. Our site missed out on 3rd place by one point, but 4 individual plot-holders won prizes – congratulations to them. All agreed that weather conditions have made this an unusually difficult year.
  • ET asked about the need to keep records of water meter readings. PM agreed to take this when he turns the water off in November.
  1. Treasurer’s report:
    JC reported that the Association bank account is showing a surplus in comparison with last year, presumably due to healthy level of lettings.
  2. This being Brian Maisey’s last meeting, ET presented him with a card and gift voucher for the local garden centre. ET, DA and others thanked Brian for his long service to the Allotments Association. Drinks and brownies were shared around!
  3. Brian Aldridge has also retired from the Association. ET agreed to write with our thanks for his long service and help with grass cutting etc.
  4. Dates for next year:
  • Thursday 14th February
  • Thursday 25th April (AGM)
  • Thursday 24th October.