South Ward Allotments

At Kennington, Oxford

Committee Meeting 20th October 2011

SOUTH WARD (KENNINGTON) ALLOTMENTS ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING 20TH October 2011

Present: David Allen (Chair), Emma Tinker (Secretary), Pete Mulvany and Sandra Mulvany (joint lettings secretary), Alan Deakin, James Duncan,  Brian Maisey, Tim Gardiner, Dick Webb.

Apologies: John Card (Treasurer)

1.     Minutes of the meeting of 17th February were approved and signed.

2.     Lettings: PM reported that he had just let the last 2 x 10 pole plots, leaving just 2 x 5 pole plots vacant. Another 10 pole plot will become vacant in November when Anna Mentzel leaves plot 313, and we have someone waiting for this. ET agreed to contact those whose plots are overgrown to see if they wish to continue.

3.     ET reported further unsuccessful attempts to get Thames Water to set up billing for our water. It was agreed to drop this for the time being.

4.     ET reported that the council will charge £160 + VAT to cut the hedge along the track. It was agreed that we will try to manage this ourselves, starting with a work party to be arranged in November.

5.     The purchase of wire to fence new plots was discussed. TG pointed out that we had agreed not to pay for any more wire. However, it was felt that in view of the small amounts required to finish fencing, we will look into one more purchase of wire and poles.

6.     ET reported that the website is changing slightly because our webmaster Anna Mentzel is giving up her plot and leaving the Association. The site has now been redesigned and updated with new pictures etc.

7.     DG reported on the Federation meeting of 13th September. The new Allotment Charter was discussed and broadly approved. TG noted that Employers’ Liability Insurance (noted in section 2 of the charter) is provided to Federation members by the Council.

8.     ET to chase the new Public Liability Insurance certificate, as the old one expires this month.

9.     Discussion took place about the likely increase in rent in 2014, as the Federation is pushing for equal rent across all Oxford Allotment Associations. South Ward currently receives a 50% rebate. TG expressed concern about removal of grants; BM and TG suggested a gradual rent increase over the next few years. JC to look into the financial consequences of the proposed increase.

10. It was agreed to discontinue the delivery of council leafmould, as we are to be charged approximately £50 for it.

11. ET congratulated everyone on our collective triumph – second place in the Federation competition for best site. Certificate to be posted on the site noticeboard.

12. Dates of next meetings:

–       16 February 2012 – Committee meeting 7pm

–       19 April 2012 – AGM 7.15pm

–       18 October 2012 – Committee meeting 7pm